Lufthansa plane lands in Canada after smoke detected
BERLIN – German airline Lufthansa says a jet headed from Frankfurt to Orlando made an emergency landing in Gander, Newfoundland after the crew detected smoke in the cockpit.
Lufthansa spokesman Joerg Waber said Wednesday that the crew of Flight 464, a Boeing 747-400 with 345 passengers and 18 crew members on board, decided to declare an emergency and landed safely in Gander at 1920 GMT (3:20 p.m. EDT) Tuesday.
The cause of the smoke wasn't immediately clear. Technicians were being flown in to investigate.
The passengers were to be flown on to Orlando later Wednesday.
- 10:24 Teddy Bridgewater 'excited' about joining the Jets, but will he be...
- 10:08 Donors raise $560 million for Gaza water treatment plant
- 09:56 Austin police investigating suspicious package FedEx facility near...
- 09:50 Texas water board withdraws application for $1.8M grants for flood...
- 07:34 City Council to call election to replace Larry Green
- 00:55 First lady to hold first public event on cyberbullying
- 00:49 GOP leaders have yet to move to protect special counsel
- 00:49 In NH and Iowa, Trump eyes 2020 re-election as midterms loom
- 00:21 Quick challenge for Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban
- 23:40 Moore: Kevin Sumlin looks ready as spring practice, new era begin...