Man with fake handgun shot by Vernon Hills police
Carrying a note in his pocket saying he was terminally ill but couldn't "do the deed" himself, a man walked into the Vernon Hills police station early Wednesday and brandished a realistic-looking fake handgun before an officer shot and wounded him, authorities said.
"I apologize for placing your officers in this position," Howard R. Lazarus, 53, wrote in the note found in his pocket after the shooting in the northern suburb, police said. "I am dying from cancer and couldn't do the deed myself."
Lazarus, of Mundelein, was hit in the abdomen, police said, and he... read more
- 22:57 Judge rules against ending program to protect Dreamers
- 22:37 Ex-Coronado QB Jay Vanderjagt 'shocked' by NFL QB Jared Goff's prank
- 22:10 Diamondbacks treat 9-year-old with a rough road ahead to a day at park
- 18:23 Recruiting: Pinnacle sophomore point guard Nico Mannion gets offer...
- 18:23 ASU football signs home-and-home deal with Mississippi State
- 17:57 Trump backtracks on Syria after talks with French leader
- 17:31 In plan to fix special education, Texas Education Agency will spend...
- 17:31 Abbott calls for emergency special election to replace...
- 17:09 Agency warns retailers not to sell Juul e-cigarette to kids
- 17:09 The Latest: Watchdog: VA nominee Jackson was unprofessional