Mayor to travel from Cuba to Florida in makeshift raft
A Florida mayor says he's determined to return home from a visit to Cuba alone in a makeshift raft, despite warnings against the journey from the U.S. Coast Guard.
DeBary Mayor Clint Johnson said Tuesday he devised his plan to better understand what Cuban migrants experience when crossing the Florida Straits.
Johnson plans to fly into Havana next month with some pieces for the raft and assemble it there with more pieces he can acquire locally.
While he says he will heed a Coast Guard warning to carry an emergency beacon that can broadcast his location, he insists his that his raft will be... read more
- 18:14 Game Day: Phoenix Suns take on Cavaliers in Cleveland
- 17:58 Phoenix Rising FC set for home opener for OKC Energy
- 17:43 QB Verlon Reed Jr., ready to return for Arizona Rattlers with 1st...
- 17:41 Trump says administration will ban bump stock devices
- 17:13 Protests erupt in Poland over plan to tighten abortion law
- 16:06 Something to brag about? ASU beat five teams contending for a...
- 15:52 Jets emerging as 'serious' contender to sign Ndamukong Suh, per report
- 15:41 Rochester Amerks 'humble' legend Dick Gamble dies
- 15:21 Arizona Cardinals NFL draft history: A look at the defensive backs
- 14:55 NFL players: Study to detect CTE markers in the living needs you