Memphis fires Tubby Smith after two seasons. Will Penny Hardaway be his successor?
CLOSE Tubby Smith leaves his meeting with Memphis President David Rudd and Athletic Director. He will not be returning as the Tigers coach next year.
Tubby Smith said Wednesday he is no longer the men's basketball coach at Memphis.
The decision was delivered during an 11:30 a.m. meeting between Smith, university president M. David Rudd and athletic director Tom Bowen on campus. It ended more than a week of speculation about Smith's job security.
Smith, 66, just completed his second season at Memphis and finished with a 40-26 overall record. But rumors swirled about his future... read more
- 14:06 Game Day: Arizona Coyotes battle the Minnesota Wild
- 14:06 Game Day: Phoenix Suns face Golden State Warriors minus their stars
- 11:03 Obama to visit Singapore, New Zealand, Australia, Japan
- 03:01 Youth served as 20-year-old Daria Kasatkina outlasts valiant Venus...
- 01:55 ASU baseball opens Pac-12 play with comeback win over Oregon
- 01:11 ASU coach Herm Edwards braves flight with Blue Angels before Friday...
- 00:50 White House chief tells staff their jobs safeâ for now
- 00:42 Trump's possible China tariffs send opponents scrambling
- 00:32 Chaos rules: Left and right, Trump advisers in hot water
- 23:52 Predators clinch playoff spot, increase lead in NHL standings by...