Mesa City Council approves initial agreement to bring ASU downtown
CLOSE Mesa wants to create an innovation district in a revitalized downtown. What does that mean?
The Mesa City Council approved the first step in bringing Arizona State University downtown during a packed meeting Monday night that drew opponents worried about what it will cost the city.
The intergovernmental agreement, which passed on a 5-2 vote, plunges Mesa into a familiar debate over whether ASU is the missing piece in reviving its downtown or a financial burden on a city grappling with ballooning public-safety pension costs.
More than a dozen people spoke at the two-hour meeting, rare... read more
- 19:56 Arizona Cardinals trade Jared Veldheer to the Denver Broncos for...
- 19:36 Arizona Coyotes rookie Clayton Keller eyes rookie goals record vs....
- 19:06 Harris County Flood Control District proposes tunnel idea to drain...
- 18:36 White House staffers on edge as Trump eyes another shake-up
- 18:32 Lobbying pays off for small drugmaker in budget bill
- 18:14 Game Day: Phoenix Suns take on Cavaliers in Cleveland
- 17:58 Phoenix Rising FC set for home opener for OKC Energy
- 17:43 QB Verlon Reed Jr., ready to return for Arizona Rattlers with 1st...
- 17:41 Trump says administration will ban bump stock devices
- 17:13 Protests erupt in Poland over plan to tighten abortion law