N.C. bill would legalize and add tax on sweepstakes
State legislators introduced a bill Wednesday that would legalize electronic sweepstakes, just months after the N.C. Supreme Court upheld a ban on the machines.
Rep. Michael Wray and Rep. Jeff Collins, both Republicans, were the primary sponsors for the bill, which provides an outline for regulating and taxing electronic sweepstakes parlors.
“We have crafted a bill that contains strict rules for the operation of electronic sweepstakes,” Wray said in a statement. “House Bill 547 will also generate millions in new revenue for North Carolina.”
The bill... read more
- 16:25 In Iowa, McAuliffe says he's not ruling out 2020 campaign
- 15:44 Trump to visit North Carolina to survey Florence impact
- 14:21 White House releases new biodefense strategy
- 14:01 The Latest: Trump considering permanent US troops in Poland
- 13:39 Ted Cruz holds 9 point lead on Beto OâRourke, new poll shows
- 12:39 Trump welcomes president of Poland to the White House
- 09:04 5 ways Trump's tariffs on $200B in China goods could be felt