ND's Loyd is national freshman of year
Notre Dame guard Jewell Loyd was named Thursday as National Freshman of the Year by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association.
Loyd, a Niles West product from Lincolnwood, earlier had been named Big East Freshman of the Year.
She averaged 12.5 points per game while logging the second highest number of minutes (31 per game) for the No. 2 Irish, who meet No. 3 Connecticut in Sunday's NCAA semifinal in New Orleans. Only All-America point guard Skylar Diggins played more (31.8).
"Jewell has really added another weapon for us that maybe we haven't had in the past," Diggins said in the... read more
- 21:50 Trump says he'll rid Justice Dept. of 'lingering stench'
- 19:58 Hilarious memes rip Cruz, O'Rourke during first senate debate
- 18:34 Shame, fear: Survivors explain not reporting sexual assaults
- 16:34 As he considers 2020, Biden airs regrets of Thomas hearings
- 15:25 First black female White House reporter gets Newseum statue
- 14:57 Judge denies bid to block courthouse immigration arrests
- 14:49 Rosenstein denies that he proposed secretly taping Trump
- 14:39 Evangelicals push Senate Republicans to confirm Kavanaugh
- 13:46 Obama turns focus on Pennsylvania, hopes to boost Democrats
- 11:16 The Latest: Trump delays release of Russia probe documents