ND's Loyd is national freshman of year
Notre Dame guard Jewell Loyd was named Thursday as National Freshman of the Year by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association.
Loyd, a Niles West product from Lincolnwood, earlier had been named Big East Freshman of the Year.
She averaged 12.5 points per game while logging the second highest number of minutes (31 per game) for the No. 2 Irish, who meet No. 3 Connecticut in Sunday's NCAA semifinal in New Orleans. Only All-America point guard Skylar Diggins played more (31.8).
"Jewell has really added another weapon for us that maybe we haven't had in the past," Diggins said in the... read more
- 04:08 Missed chances add up as Diamondbacks fall to Giants
- 03:17 Ahead of 420, advocates and critics reflect on pot in the US
- 02:52 Estrella Foothills softball pours in 19 runs in win over Thunderbird
- 01:01 Trade issues expose the limits of Trump-Abe 'bromance'
- 00:53 Trump leaves open possibility of bailing on meeting with Kim
- 00:50 Desert Mountain baseball uses big 4th inning, errors to crush...
- 21:39 Diamondbacks' Matt Koch will get first crack at replacing Taijuan...
- 21:10 The Latest: Judge sets Friday hearing in Stormy Daniels case
- 20:35 Tucson Roadrunners ready for franchise's 1st playoff game
- 20:23 Cardinals know price is steep if they want a top QB in NFL draft