Nepal's capital gripped by fuel price hike strike
KATMANDU, Nepal -- The streets were mostly deserted in Nepal's capital of Kathmandu on Wednesday for a general strike to protest a hike in fuel prices.
Schools were closed and shops shuttered in response to the strike called by university student groups as police in riot gear guarded the main streets of the city.
The government increased the price of gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel because state-owned Nepal Oil Corp. was in debt. Student groups demanded authorities reverse the decision and met with government officials to talk about the matter.
Police detained several protesters in... read more
- 02:23 Defense sparkles again as Diamondbacks take series against Giants
- 01:52 EPA head showed penchant for travel, drivers even before DC
- 01:06 In Comey memos, Trump talks of jailed journalists, 'hookers'
- 01:06 Trump legal team in Russia probe gets Rudy Giuliani
- 01:06 Tucson Roadrunners win playoff debut against San Jose Barracuda
- 00:11 Matthew Liberatore wins battle of top prospects against Nolan Gorman
- 22:55 Report: Mike Budenholzer withdraws name from Suns' consideration
- 22:34 Woman's win of nursing home money a rarity in aging Japan
- 22:29 Game Day: Diamondbacks meet the Padres for first time in 2018
- 21:18 Patrick Corbin riding his slider to early-season dominance