Nepal's capital gripped by fuel price hike strike
KATMANDU, Nepal The streets in Nepal's capital were mostly deserted Wednesday for a general strike to protest a hike in fuel prices.
Schools were closed and shops shuttered in Katmandu in response to the strike called by university student groups as police in riot gear guarded the main streets of the city.
The government increased the price of gasoline, kerosene and diesel fuel because state-owned Nepal Oil Corp. was in debt. Student groups demanded authorities reverse the decision and met with government officials to talk about the matter.
Police detained several protesters in Katmandu who... read more
- 22:18 Dallas County Sheriff's Association endorses Gov. Greg Abbott
- 20:56 Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen providing info in Mueller probe
- 19:01 Suburban women wrestle with Kavanaugh allegations
- 16:00 Melania Trump announces restoration of Blue Room furniture
- 15:10 The Latest: US identifies remains of 2 Korean War soldiers
- 14:56 Trump to address drugs, nuclear weapons in UN speeches
- 06:53 Political boot camp for women? One Texas university is working on it