New book: Girls feel pressure to achieve, but failure is OK
Girl power. Breaking glass ceilings. Anything is possible. You can be the first female president.
Positive messages, right? Well, maybe not so much when we push our girls and young women to achieve, or over-achieve. But they’re invincible, right? Young and invincible. Capable of doing anything merely because of their youth and promise.
In her new book Enough As She Is: How to Help Girls Move Beyond Impossible Standards of Success to Live Healthy, Happy, and Fulfilling Lives (Harper, 234 pp, ★★★ out of four), author Rachel Simmons clearly shows the damage being done to girls.
Enough As She... read more
- 13:39 AP sources: Cohen in talks to strike plea deal in fraud case
- 11:50 Trump looking to best Obama's travel for midterms
- 11:50 Trump accuses de Blasio of slogan theft
- 10:18 Jury in Manafort trial enters 4th day of deliberations
- 09:08 Gallery: A purrfect debut [+ video]
- 00:51 Anti-Trump images become big business for DC projectionist
- 00:27 Trump looks to Brennan for a foil in Russia probe spat