New breed of giant megaships strain U.S. ports
LONG BEACH, Calif. — Spanning the length of four football fields and rising 20 stories, the giant container ship that tied up here is an awe-inspiring sight.
The CMA CGM Benjamin Franklin is one of the largest container vessels in the world. It was recently inaugurated in Long Beach, California where USA TODAY got a look at this behemoth.
The CMA CGM Benjamin Franklin — yes, the name seems as long as the ship — is one of a new breed. Container ships are growing ever larger, testing not only the limits of naval architecture but the infrastructure of the ports at which they would call.... read more
- 17:51 Protesters chase Ted Cruz and Heidi Cruz from Washington restaurant
- 16:00 What happens to Mueller probe if Rosenstein loses his job?
- 15:21 Trump riding in sleeker version of 'Beast' presidential limo
- 13:15 Harris County to begin work on new floodplain maps
- 12:51 Trump takes aim at Iran in UN speech
- 12:51 Cody Wilson, 3-D printer gun activist, steps down from company...
- 11:45 Protesters chase Ted Cruz and Heidi Cruz from Washington restaurant
- 11:19 Solid gold