New breed of giant megaships strain U.S. ports
LONG BEACH, Calif. — Spanning the length of four football fields and rising 20 stories, the giant container ship that tied up here is an awe-inspiring sight.
The CMA CGM Benjamin Franklin is one of the largest container vessels in the world. It was recently inaugurated in Long Beach, California where USA TODAY got a look at this behemoth.
The CMA CGM Benjamin Franklin — yes, the name seems as long as the ship — is one of a new breed. Container ships are growing ever larger, testing not only the limits of naval architecture but the infrastructure of the ports at which they would call.... read more
- 02:51 Short-handed Diamondbacks nearly no-hit by Padres
- 02:33 Horizon wins at home on ninth-inning walk-off, 4-3
- 01:03 Giuliani adds toughness, star power to legal team for Trump
- 01:03 Haley's response: 'I don't get confused' draws notice
- 01:03 Steyer's talk of impeaching Trump not appealing to Dems
- 00:46 Dems' lawsuit alleges conspiracy between Trump camp, Russia
- 00:22 Madisen Duryea builds on home run total as Bradshaw Mountain...
- 23:17 Arizona Diamondbacks' bullpen getting results without overpowering...
- 22:09 Diamondbacks hold A.J. Pollock, Chris Owings out after outfield...
- 21:38 High holiday: Pot fans join 420 smoke-out in San Francisco