New hospital opens in isolated area of southern Haiti
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – A new hospital has been opened in a remote section of southern Haiti where residents once had to travel for hours on rutted roads to reach a relatively well equipped medical center.
In a Monday statement, the CMMB-Health Lives Worldwide nonprofit group says the health center in the isolated coastal community of Cotes-de-Fer will serve more than 50,000 people who previously did not have access to decent care.
A U.S. organization in Kentucky and Ohio called Mercy Health provided $2 million for construction costs.
Haiti's health ministry will provide technical and... read more
- 15:42 Energy Secretary Rick Perry's father dies at 92
- 15:41 Fears of losing pre-existing conditions protection under GOP
- 15:41 Florida eye doctor guilty on all counts of Medicare fraud
- 15:28 Bordow: Firing of Desert Vista baseball coach Stan Luketich makes...
- 15:10 Trump at NRA convention: 'Eight-year assault' on gun rights is over
- 15:04 Stream of quakes rattles Chilean coast
- 14:38 Trump's tweets cooling — and the impact is fading a bit
- 14:36 Trump's 100-day cram session
- 14:25 North Korea's army: 1.2M men, obsolete equipment and nukes
- 13:56 A look at Macedonia's deepening political turmoil