New trial ordered for death row inmate
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- The Florida Supreme Court has ordered a new trial for a man sentenced to death for a 1996 fatal stabbing.
The court unanimously upheld a lower court's 2010 decision Thursday to grant a retrial to 51-year-old Michael Peter Fitzpatrick. Justices found that Fitzpatrick had ineffective help from his trial attorney, who should have consulted with experts on the DNA and other forensic evidence used against him.
Fitzpatrick had been accused of raping and killing 28-year-old Laura Romines, whose boyfriend had recently kicked her out. She was found naked with a slit throat on... read more
- 00:55 First lady to hold first public event on cyberbullying
- 00:49 GOP leaders have yet to move to protect special counsel
- 00:49 In NH and Iowa, Trump eyes 2020 re-election as midterms loom
- 00:21 Quick challenge for Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban
- 23:40 Moore: Kevin Sumlin looks ready as spring practice, new era begin...
- 22:38 Trump calls for death penalty to 'get tough' on drug pushers
- 21:43 Colts add tight end Eric Ebron in free agency
- 21:42 Diamondbacks' Steven Souza looking to trim back on strikeouts
- 21:18 About that Isaac Haas brace project Purdue coach Matt Painter...
- 21:02 Florida High hires Charlie Ward as boys basketball coach