Older brothers fuel Mesa's deep neighborhood basketball championship culture
It is Senior Night on Friday at Mesa High, and its two top seniors, point guard Mark Hatch and wing Xavier Fuller, will start the basketball game on the bench.
Not because they're being punished by coach Shane Burcar. But because they asked Burcar if seniors who haven't played much this season be able to start in their place for their final home game.
"It's part of a tradition at this school," said Hatch, one of seven seniors on a 19-5 team expected to get a high seed at the 6A state tournament.
This was handed down from big brothers who thrived in Burcar's family-first,... read more
- 16:35 Severe winter storm, heavy snow headed to northern Arizona
- 15:42 Michigan basketball pushes through Ohio State on senior day, 74-62
- 15:33 Austin Hatch dresses on Michigan's senior day as honorary captain
- 15:14 Boy, 3, pulled 'unresponsive' from Queen Creek-area pool
- 14:44 Mets GM Sandy Alderson believes Tim Tebow will eventually play in MLB
- 14:18 Ex-cheerleading coach pleads guilty to attempted molestation
- 13:38 Crash in Phoenix leaves one person dead, police say
- 13:14 The Latest: Trump to meet with Florida high school students
- 12:54 Florida suspect's red flags weren't enough to stop gun buy
- 12:01 Four great new fiction titles for teens and John Green fans