On Jerusalem, Trump delivers for supporters at home
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump's move to recognize the divided city of Jerusalem as Israel's capital may have triggered a worldwide chorus of critics but the president had his ears closely tuned to his supporters at home.
For Trump, the proclamation was an important way to make good on a pledge to his political base, which includes evangelical Christians and pro-Israel Republicans eager for such a move.
"While previous presidents have made this a major campaign promise, they failed to deliver," the president declared Wednesday in announcing his decision. "Today, I... read more
- 00:43 Man jailed in Venezuela for 2 years returns to US
- 00:43 Backchannel, 'Dracula' help free Utah man in Venezuela
- 18:41 Trump's 'phony' source turns out to be White House official
- 11:57 Sutherland Springs survivor urges gun owners to push back against NRA
- 11:18 The Latest: US team heading to Singapore to work on summit
- 10:19 Family grateful for Utah man's 'miracle' Venezuela release
- 09:36 Resistance makes subtle impact even where Trump is popular