Paxton issues cease and desist letters to school districts for alleged 'electioneering'
AUSTIN — Attorney General Ken Paxton sent cease and desist letters to three school districts Wednesday saying district officials or staff used social media to advocate for or against political candidates, potentially running afoul of state law.
Among the schools is Brazosport Independent School District, a 12,000-student school system on the Gulf Coast about 65 miles south of Houston. Paxton accused Superintendent Danny Massey of using his Twitter account to promote voting for Republican candidate for lieutenant governor Scott Milder over incumbent Dan Patrick.
MORE: See the cease and... read more
- 00:53 US intelligence chief is tough on Russia, at odds with Trump
- 00:53 Amid harsh criticism, Trump tries a tougher tone on Russia
- 00:53 Kentucky's Paul shares Trump's skepticism of US intervention
- 18:05 Is there a backdoor to getting at Donald Trump's tax return?
- 18:05 Texas Congressman says Bible is against amnesty for undocumented...
- 16:51 Military veterans divided over Trump's Russia comments
- 16:17 After Harvey, FEMA says it will do better in 2018 hurricane season
- 15:10 Trump-Kim statement overpromised on return of war remains
- 14:41 Beto OâRourke vs Ted Cruz is the most expensive U.S. Senate race...
- 14:41 Trump's diagnosis for critics: 'Trump Derangement Syndrome'