Paxton issues cease and desist letters to school districts for alleged 'electioneering'
AUSTIN — Attorney General Ken Paxton sent cease and desist letters to three school districts Wednesday saying district officials or staff used social media to advocate for or against political candidates, potentially running afoul of state law.
Among the schools is Brazosport Independent School District, a 12,000-student school system on the Gulf Coast about 65 miles south of Houston. Paxton accused Superintendent Danny Massey of using his Twitter account to promote voting for Republican candidate for lieutenant governor Scott Milder over incumbent Dan Patrick.
MORE: See the cease and... read more
- 15:25 Police: Student caught with gun in car at Liberty High School in...
- 15:00 Second child in Houston dies from flu-related causes
- 14:57 Mueller files new charges in Manafort case
- 14:22 Gilbert High students stage walkout after 17 killed at Florida high...
- 14:06 Chuck Schumer endorses Tahir Javed in Houston congressional race
- 13:54 Lawyer: Melania Trump's parents are permanent US residents
- 13:54 Abbott asks TEA to identify, publicize school districts behind on...
- 13:46 US panel recommends new adult vaccine against hepatitis B
- 13:46 Murphy reverses Christie, approves $7.5M for women's health
- 13:32 Arizona special congressional election: Mail your ballot today