Phoenix mayor wants to change controversial street names despite homeowner opposition
Skip in SkipxEmbed
CLOSE Kristin Payestewa, cousin of Lori Piestewa, talks with Republic reporter Dustin Gardiner about efforts to rename Squaw Peak Drive in Phoenix. Thomas Hawthorne/azcentral.com
In his quest to rename city streets with racially-insensitive titles, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton is trying to change the city's policy so it can be done without the support of affected homeowners.
Stanton has called for renaming two streets with controversial names: Squaw Peak Drive, which contains a word many consider a derogatory term for Native American women, and Robert E Lee Street, a... read more
- 08:29 The Latest: US says it's maintaining pressure on North Korea
- 07:56 Is Andrew White running for Texas 'govorner'?
- 04:08 Missed chances add up as Diamondbacks fall to Giants
- 03:17 Ahead of 420, advocates and critics reflect on pot in the US
- 02:52 Estrella Foothills softball pours in 19 runs in win over Thunderbird
- 01:01 Trade issues expose the limits of Trump-Abe 'bromance'
- 00:53 Trump leaves open possibility of bailing on meeting with Kim
- 00:50 Desert Mountain baseball uses big 4th inning, errors to crush...
- 21:39 Diamondbacks' Matt Koch will get first crack at replacing Taijuan...
- 21:10 The Latest: Judge sets Friday hearing in Stormy Daniels case