Pianist Yang shines new light on Grieg's concerto
Soloist Joyce Yang gave a terrific performance of Edward Grieg’s Piano Concerto at the Anchorage Symphony Orchestra’s season opening concert on Saturday. The well-worn piece had a fresh shine in her hands, starting from the first cascading chords. She played it with grand vision, power, earnestness, pacing and, most importantly, precision. Though given to using a lot of pedal, she nonetheless managed the device to produce a sense of musical awe while letting the melodic lines come through clearly. The first movement cadenza was virtuosity incarnate and the slow movement appropriately... read more
- 21:03 Running world embraces Desiree Linden after Boston Marathon victory
- 20:21 Cardinals plan to exercise fifth-year option for left tackle D.J....
- 19:54 Texas agriculture commissioner errs in interpreting barbecue bill,...
- 19:23 Arizona Cardinals have urgent need for wide receivers behind Larry...
- 18:19 NFL draft: 2018 quarterback class not measuring up to 1983 comparisons
- 17:54 Pence to name Kellogg as national security adviser
- 17:52 Diamondbacks left-hander Patrick Corbin named National League...
- 17:52 ASU NFL draft preview: The intriguing case of Kalen Ballage
- 17:52 Perry's Chubba Purdy stops at-bat to honor national anthem from...
- 16:56 Phoenix Suns have talked to Jason Kidd, Vinny Del Negro about...