Plan to scrap state and local tax deduction hits resistance
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump's tax overhaul package is getting resistance from an unusual alliance of interests opposed to his plans to scrap the federal deduction for state and local taxes.
Republican lawmakers from high-tax states such as New York, California and New Jersey, labor unions and business groups like Realtors are pressing the Trump administration to reconsider plans to eliminate the deduction, wary of the financial pinch their constituents could feel.
"This is really almost like a life or death issue for districts like mine," says Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y.,... read more
- 17:21 FBI agent removed from Russia probe is willing to testify
- 17:00 Trump adviser Roger Stone reveals new meeting with Russian
- 11:27 Conway says 'nobody likes' family separation policy
- 11:27 Giuliani says Trump could issue pardons after Russia probe
- 02:21 Police: Second sheriff's deputy dead after shooting during...