Plan to scrap state and local tax deduction hits resistance
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump's tax overhaul package is getting resistance from an unusual alliance of interests opposed to his plans to scrap the federal deduction for state and local taxes.
Republican lawmakers from high-tax states such as New York, California and New Jersey, labor unions and business groups like Realtors are pressing the Trump administration to reconsider plans to eliminate the deduction, wary of the financial pinch their constituents could feel.
"This is really almost like a life or death issue for districts like mine," says Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y.,... read more
- 19:25 GCU baseball drops season opener to TCU
- 18:42 Arizona high school football: Spencer Rattler, Jack Miller No. 1...
- 18:39 Biden, in public and private, tiptoes toward a 2020 run
- 18:39 Trump overreaches to claim indictment proves 'no collusion'
- 18:39 Trump focuses on first responders after Florida shooting
- 18:39 FBI pressure increases with failure to avert school shooting
- 18:39 How to disrupt an election: Fake IDs, fraud and Facebook
- 18:39 Mueller charges Russians with meddling in 2016 race
- 17:47 Overwatch Championship: Four teams compete for scholarships at ASU...
- 17:30 Step by step: How the Parkland school shooting unfolded