Pope Francis elevates the discourse on Capitol Hill: Eugene Robinson
"God bless America" sounds banal coming from politicians but profound when spoken by the shepherd of 1.2 billion souls. In his historic address to Congress, Pope Francis delivered a blessing of encouragement, not admonition - and spoke powerfully about the hot-button issues that keep our political leaders mired in bitter gridlock.
The pope's words drew warm applause. I wish I could be optimistic that they also touched our leaders' hearts.
Francis was also direct in issuing a condemnation of arms dealing - and, to my ears, what sounded like a clarion call for gun control.
"Why... read more
- 15:20 Houston City Council agrees to subsidize Fifth Ward grocery
- 15:20 What is the FBI's role in the Kavanaugh allegations?
- 11:26 Hoping for a blue wave, Texas Democrats instead got smacked this week
- 11:12 Trump: Not concerned about Manafort cooperation
- 10:59 Trump arrives in North Carolina to survey Florence damage
- 10:59 After mocking Kavanaughâs accuser on Twitter, Texas attorney...
- 09:59 Trump rips Sessions: 'I don't have an attorney general'
- 06:40 Houston to consider tiny tax rate hike