Rebound impressive, but more big hurdles await J.C. Penney
J.C. Penney’s sharply improved second-quarter results were impressive, but the retailer has big hurdles to overcome before it can start to repay its debt.
Customer traffic is still down from a year ago, Penney said Thursday as it announced that its second-quarter sales were up 6 percent. Penney also sharply cut its losses.
Analysts believe Penney needs to get back $2 billion to $3 billion of the $5.6 billion in sales it lost in 2012 and 2013, when a reinvention of the department store failed, sending Penney shoppers elsewhere.
That’s the big-picture call for J.C. Penney, said Piper Jaffray... read more
- 15:42 Energy Secretary Rick Perry's father dies at 92
- 15:41 Fears of losing pre-existing conditions protection under GOP
- 15:41 Florida eye doctor guilty on all counts of Medicare fraud
- 15:28 Bordow: Firing of Desert Vista baseball coach Stan Luketich makes...
- 15:10 Trump at NRA convention: 'Eight-year assault' on gun rights is over
- 15:04 Stream of quakes rattles Chilean coast
- 14:38 Trump's tweets cooling — and the impact is fading a bit
- 14:36 Trump's 100-day cram session
- 14:25 North Korea's army: 1.2M men, obsolete equipment and nukes
- 13:56 A look at Macedonia's deepening political turmoil