Review: New Oprah pick 'An American Marriage' is brilliant, timely
Celestial and Roy are still newlyweds when a visit to Roy’s hometown in small-town Louisiana ends with Roy wrongly accused of rape.
Tayari Jones’ brilliant and heartbreaking novel An American Marriage (Algonquin, 306 pp., ★★★★ out of four) — announced Tuesday as the latest selection of Oprah's Book Club — exposes the intimate toll of an American shame: the unjust imprisonment of black men. Marriage uncovers the truths that are revealed in the nearly invisible cracks that emerge in relationships, and the devastating harm in secrets of omission.
Roy is an up-and-coming business executive in... read more
- 17:28 Trump-Putin summit leaves wake of confusion, outrage in US
- 17:28 Russian hackers used US online infrastructure against itself
- 16:36 US intel chief stands by assessment of Russian meddling
- 16:36 Trump: Putin made 'incredible offer' in Russian hacking case
- 13:14 Almost half of Fox News viewers think immigrants aren't part of...
- 00:24 Jared Kushner's family firm accused of pushing out tenants