Rieder: Did Philly go overboard on pope security?
PHILADELPHIA — It was an eerie way to start the day.
At 3 a.m., I started the trek from my Center City Philadelphia hotel to the Pennsylvania Convention Center, where I would catch the bus to the airport to watch Pope Francis' arrival in the City of Brotherly Love on Saturday morning.
It was still dark, of course, and it had the look of a war zone. There were barricades everywhere. There were security checkpoints. There were fences making some streets completely inaccessible. And everywhere there were police, and TSA agents, and all other flavors of law enforcement personnel.
Hours later, I... read more
- 22:18 Dallas County Sheriff's Association endorses Gov. Greg Abbott
- 20:56 Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen providing info in Mueller probe
- 19:01 Suburban women wrestle with Kavanaugh allegations
- 16:00 Melania Trump announces restoration of Blue Room furniture
- 15:10 The Latest: US identifies remains of 2 Korean War soldiers
- 14:56 Trump to address drugs, nuclear weapons in UN speeches
- 06:53 Political boot camp for women? One Texas university is working on it