Riposte wins Belmont's Sheepshead Bay
NEW YORK -- Riposte led all the way to win the $200,000 Sheepshead Bay Stakes for fillies and mares Saturday at Belmont Park.
The 4-year-old filly and jockey Joel Rosario set a very slow pace on the rain-softened turf course. They crawled along, and had plenty left in the lane to prevail by 1¾ lengths over Abaco.
"There wasn't a lot of speed, and with how the track is, I wanted to get into position," Rosario said. "I just tried to take my time with her."
Riposte, trained by Hall of Famer Bill Mott, got her first win in four U.S. starts. The English bred filly, 3... read more
- 13:29 Higley's Marcus Edwards eyes return to sports after two strokes,...
- 13:02 Trump says he wants to meet with Russia's Putin soon
- 13:02 The Latest: Trump team makes overture to high-profile lawyer
- 12:45 NFL mock draft 2018: Arizona Cardinals not only team that needs...
- 12:34 The Latest: Lawyers debate 15-week abortion ban in court
- 11:43 Brewers' broadcaster Bob Uecker survives poisonous spider bite,...
- 10:24 Teddy Bridgewater 'excited' about joining the Jets, but will he be...
- 10:08 Donors raise $560 million for Gaza water treatment plant
- 09:56 Austin police investigating suspicious package FedEx facility near...
- 09:50 Texas water board withdraws application for $1.8M grants for flood...