Salpointe Catholic edges Cactus to win 4A softball title in defensive battle
Head coach Amy Baray-Rocha already knew what it was like to win a softball state title for Tucson Salpointe Catholic. She won as a freshman in 1993 and a senior in 1996.
In 2015, her first year as head coach at her alma mater, Baray-Rocha brought her squad back to the title game, where they lost to Vail Cienega, 9-2. The 1996 game remained Salpointe's most recent championship, until Tuesday, when a team that hadn't even been born yet helped Baray-Rocha return the trophy to Tucson.
No. 5 Salpointe edged out No. 3 Glendale Cactus 2-0 to win the 4A softball state title at ASU Farrington... read more
- 11:57 Sutherland Springs survivor urges gun owners to push back against NRA
- 11:18 The Latest: US team heading to Singapore to work on summit
- 10:19 Family grateful for Utah man's 'miracle' Venezuela release
- 09:36 Resistance makes subtle impact even where Trump is popular
- 02:03 Giuliani says White House wants briefing on classified info
- 01:02 Trump stays out of messy House immigration fight
- 00:46 Trump shifts stance on Korea summit from 'off' to 'maybe'
- 00:46 Trump's dizzying shifts on issues from NK, guns, health care