South Sudan's hunger crisis drives students from classes
MALUALKUEL, South Sudan – In South Sudan, where hundreds of thousands are on the brink of starvation and famine has been declared in two counties, children are struggling to learn because of lack of food.
"I can't do my homework because I'm hungry," Thor Athiam says. "I can't concentrate."
He shuffles the dirt under his small bare feet. The skinny 9-year-old's ripped shirt falls loosely off his frame. Crouched under a tree outside his classroom, he waits patiently for lunch.
This will be the first time he's eaten since yesterday.
"This is the worst year for school... read more
- 10:35 Tom Brady: 'I've pretty much moved past' ugly loss to Dolphins
- 10:34 A Georgia mother battles opioids to win back her kids
- 10:34 Opioid crisis strains foster system as kids pried from homes
- 10:31 Herm Edwards' contract: 5 things to know about ASU head football...
- 10:24 4 of Arizona's tax credits could help you save thousands of dollars
- 10:24 Gilbert charter school fires teacher accused of sexual misconduct...
- 10:02 Former Arizona high school basketball players on college basketball...
- 09:57 Tom Brady: Patriots focused on putting ugly loss behind them fast
- 09:14 CEO Mary Barra: GM committed to 'harassment-free' workplace
- 08:58 The Latest: Trump blasts Gillibrand over resignation call