South Sudan's hunger crisis drives students from classes
MALUALKUEL, South Sudan – In South Sudan, where hundreds of thousands are on the brink of starvation and famine has been declared in two counties, children are struggling to learn because of lack of food.
"I can't do my homework because I'm hungry," Thor Athiam says. "I can't concentrate."
He shuffles the dirt under his small bare feet. The skinny 9-year-old's ripped shirt falls loosely off his frame. Crouched under a tree outside his classroom, he waits patiently for lunch.
This will be the first time he's eaten since yesterday.
"This is the worst year for school... read more
- 11:36 House approves stopgap spending bill to avert shutdown
- 11:36 Trump signs executive order expanding drilling in Arctic, Atlantic...
- 11:32 Reports of man with gun near Phoenix school prompts lockdown
- 11:26 The Latest: Death penalty described as red line for Turkey
- 11:26 Tombstone of famed rabbi damaged in Czech town of Prostejov
- 11:19 Tillerson eyes cutting 2,300 jobs at State Department
- 11:17 Shocking Guatemala video shows car plowing through protesters
- 11:17 Massachusetts teen survives falling 200 feet off cliff in Switzerland
- 11:15 UK jury convicts doctor of performing unnecessary surgeries
- 11:06 Inmate escapes from Lee County work release