Sri Lankan police release 2 rights activists
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka Sri Lankan police say they've released two prominent human rights activists whose arrest drew international criticism.
Police spokesman Ajith Rohana says Ruki Fernando of Colombo-based INFORM and the Rev. Praveen Mahesan, a Catholic priest, were released late Tuesday.
Their arrest on Sunday drew wide criticism from international rights monitors and the United States. Rights groups said the arrest was arbitrary and an attempt to silence criticism in the country.
On Wednesday, nearly two dozen rights and trade union activists protested against the arrest and urged the... read more
- 16:25 In Iowa, McAuliffe says he's not ruling out 2020 campaign
- 15:44 Trump to visit North Carolina to survey Florence impact
- 14:21 White House releases new biodefense strategy
- 14:01 The Latest: Trump considering permanent US troops in Poland
- 13:39 Ted Cruz holds 9 point lead on Beto OâRourke, new poll shows
- 12:39 Trump welcomes president of Poland to the White House