Sri Lankan police release 2 rights activists
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka Sri Lankan police say they've released two prominent human rights activists whose arrest drew international criticism.
Police spokesman Ajith Rohana says Ruki Fernando of Colombo-based INFORM and the Rev. Praveen Mahesan, a Catholic priest, were released late Tuesday.
Their arrest on Sunday drew wide criticism from international rights monitors and the United States. Rights groups said the arrest was arbitrary and an attempt to silence criticism in the country.
On Wednesday, nearly two dozen rights and trade union activists protested against the arrest and urged the... read more
- 12:17 First campaign ads in Houston-area congressional race
- 12:17 Andrew White resigns as church elder
- 11:59 First ladies Trump, Macron tour National Gallery's Cezannes
- 11:59 Trump: North Korea wants meeting 'as soon as possible'
- 11:36 Kids with rare rapid-aging disease get hope from study drug
- 11:32 Christian Kirk, Mark Andrews, Isaiah Oliver could be Arizona's next...
- 09:32 The Latest: Trump welcomes Macron at White House
- 04:07 Dutch probe 'appalling' euthanasia of dementia patient
- 03:44 Opioid treatment gap in Medicare: methadone clinics
- 02:59 Senators considering a delay for VA confirmation hearing