State Rep. Sarah Davis takes lead over Abbott-backed challenger in GOP primary
AUSTIN — State Rep. Sarah Davis, trying to stave off a Republican primary challenge backed by Gov. Greg Abbott, was leading his favored candidate in a southwest Houston election that he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to influence.
Early-voting returns showed Davis leading Susanna Dokupil, a businesswoman backed by Abbott in his attempt to wipe out House incumbents who didn’t embrace his agenda.
The race is one of the most closely watched in Texas, serving as ground zero in the fight for the heart and soul of the Texas GOP. The governor, who has grown more conservative this... read more
- 14:06 Game Day: Arizona Coyotes battle the Minnesota Wild
- 14:06 Game Day: Phoenix Suns face Golden State Warriors minus their stars
- 11:03 Obama to visit Singapore, New Zealand, Australia, Japan
- 03:01 Youth served as 20-year-old Daria Kasatkina outlasts valiant Venus...
- 01:55 ASU baseball opens Pac-12 play with comeback win over Oregon
- 01:11 ASU coach Herm Edwards braves flight with Blue Angels before Friday...
- 00:50 White House chief tells staff their jobs safeâ for now
- 00:42 Trump's possible China tariffs send opponents scrambling
- 00:32 Chaos rules: Left and right, Trump advisers in hot water
- 23:52 Predators clinch playoff spot, increase lead in NHL standings by...