Struggling Murphy Elementary School District weighs teacher pay cuts, furloughs
CLOSE A majority of Arizona schools are experiencing a teacher shortage, according to an ASU Morrison Institute report, and low pay may be at least partly to blame.
About 40 teachers and instructional aides in the Murphy Elementary School District in southwest Phoenix did not show up for school Monday in protest of potential pay cuts the district is weighing amid financial turmoil.
The Murphy district board will decide Monday at 5:30 p.m. whether to approve a 5 percent pay cut for teachers and administrators to address a $5 million budget deficit.
The school board will also decide whether... read more
- 08:20 The Latest: Trump defends Putin summit, vows 'big results'
- 06:45 Democrat Kim Olson has more cash, less debt than Agriculture...
- 06:45 Texas Senate panel meets today to discuss mass shootings in schools
- 05:05 Ex-FBI chief Comey urges voters to support Democrats in fall
- 04:34 Trump backs off siding with Russia over US intelligence
- 00:41 Trump backs off siding with Russia over US intelligence
- 22:13 Where Texas politicians stand on marijuana
- 17:35 Trump blames 'double negative' for furor over Putin meeting
- 17:21 Lights go out during Trump statement at the White House