Struggling Murphy Elementary School District weighs teacher pay cuts, furloughs
CLOSE A majority of Arizona schools are experiencing a teacher shortage, according to an ASU Morrison Institute report, and low pay may be at least partly to blame.
About 40 teachers and instructional aides in the Murphy Elementary School District in southwest Phoenix did not show up for school Monday in protest of potential pay cuts the district is weighing amid financial turmoil.
The Murphy district board will decide Monday at 5:30 p.m. whether to approve a 5 percent pay cut for teachers and administrators to address a $5 million budget deficit.
The school board will also decide whether... read more
- 23:18 Joe Biden says Trump threatening America's role as a scientific leader
- 22:52 Police: 80-year-old man missing in Surprise
- 22:38 'Our mission is to unite': Phoenix Chinese Week festival celebrates...
- 21:56 Ex-wife of former White House aide says Hatch has apologized
- 21:04 Miguel Cabrera arrives at Detroit Tigers spring training, focused...
- 20:39 Police investigate officer-involved shooting at Scottsdale Fashion...
- 18:43 Diamondbacks hope bats can thrive minus J.D. Martinez
- 18:06 Police: Third Arizona student arrested in 2 days after bringing gun...
- 16:45 More access sought for Border Patrol on federal land near border
- 16:45 Officials: Man shot by Mesa police has died