Suddenbreakingnews uses late charge to win Southwest Stakes
HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP) — Suddenbreakingnews used a late outside charge to pull ahead and win the $500,000 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park on Monday.
The win is the first in the Southwest for trainer Donnie Von Hemel and jockey Luis Quinonez, and it earns the colt 10 qualifying points toward the Kentucky Derby in his first race as a 3-year-old.
Suddenbreakingnews, which was beaten by a nose in December's Springboard Mile, lagged behind leaders American Dubai and Siding Spring before charging down the stretch for the victory.
The colt paid $10.20, $4.40 and $3.20 and finished in 1:39.15,... read more
- 16:25 In Iowa, McAuliffe says he's not ruling out 2020 campaign
- 15:44 Trump to visit North Carolina to survey Florence impact
- 14:21 White House releases new biodefense strategy
- 14:01 The Latest: Trump considering permanent US troops in Poland
- 13:39 Ted Cruz holds 9 point lead on Beto OâRourke, new poll shows
- 12:39 Trump welcomes president of Poland to the White House