Suit: Colorado sheriff's policy violates immigrant rights
DENVER (AP) — A Colorado sheriff's department is improperly holding people suspected of being in the country illegally on behalf of federal authorities, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday by the Colorado American Civil Liberties Union.
The complaint in Colorado District Court alleges that El Paso County Sheriff Bill Elder "holds prisoners in custody for days, weeks and even months after state law requires their release."
After inmates suspected of being in the country illegally have been ordered released by a court or served their sentence, the suit says Elder's department files... read more
- 14:06 Game Day: Arizona Coyotes battle the Minnesota Wild
- 14:06 Game Day: Phoenix Suns face Golden State Warriors minus their stars
- 11:03 Obama to visit Singapore, New Zealand, Australia, Japan
- 03:01 Youth served as 20-year-old Daria Kasatkina outlasts valiant Venus...
- 01:55 ASU baseball opens Pac-12 play with comeback win over Oregon
- 01:11 ASU coach Herm Edwards braves flight with Blue Angels before Friday...
- 00:50 White House chief tells staff their jobs safeâ for now
- 00:42 Trump's possible China tariffs send opponents scrambling
- 00:32 Chaos rules: Left and right, Trump advisers in hot water
- 23:52 Predators clinch playoff spot, increase lead in NHL standings by...