Suit: Colorado sheriff's policy violates immigrant rights
DENVER (AP) — A Colorado sheriff's department is improperly holding people suspected of being in the country illegally on behalf of federal authorities, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday by the Colorado American Civil Liberties Union.
The complaint in Colorado District Court alleges that El Paso County Sheriff Bill Elder "holds prisoners in custody for days, weeks and even months after state law requires their release."
After inmates suspected of being in the country illegally have been ordered released by a court or served their sentence, the suit says Elder's department files... read more
- 18:46 US newsrooms to Trump: We're not enemies of the people
- 18:08 After Brennan, 9 others face losing security clearances, too
- 15:30 White House says it values diversity, won't disclose numbers
- 15:03 Trump makes good on threat to revoke Brennan's clearance
- 14:00 DNC chair, Ellison discuss abuse allegations after primary
- 11:49 US sanctions shipping firms over North Korea trade
- 11:03 Ex-Trump campaign manager says Bloomberg is 2020 threat
- 11:03 The Latest: Prosecutors say greed, deception drove Manafort
- 09:07 White House admits error for false claim on black employment
- 07:26 City accused of using misleading ballot language for ReBuild...