Surprise council picks widow to fill spouse's seat, a rare occurrence
CLOSE Surprise City Councilman Jim Hayden died Dec. 20, 2017, after being diagnosed with glioblastoma, an aggressive form of brain cancer, on Oct. 30, 2017.
For the second time in five years, the Surprise City Council has chosen a widow to fill her husband's elected post.
Nancy Hayden, 72, was sworn in this month after Councilman Jim Hayden died in December, just one year into his four-year term.
"I gave Jim my life, and now I have that time to give to them," Hayden said of her constituents in District 2, which encompasses Sun City Grand and other neighborhoods in the northwest... read more
- 08:11 Digital billboards that run ads in schools spark controversy in...
- 07:59 UNICEF says Pakistan is riskiest country for newborns
- 07:26 Turner to announce new public safety and homeland security chief...
- 03:05 Complaint filed against Idaho senator who yelled at students
- 02:28 Trump offers support for background checks on gun buys
- 02:28 Trump endorses Romney's Senate bid â and Romney accepts
- 02:25 Tentative deal reached over inmate death in jail run by Arpaio
- 01:31 Stuck in an opioids crisis, officials turn to acupuncture
- 00:34 Donald Trump Jr. arrives in India to help sell apartments
- 00:12 Thousands honor school shooting victims in vigils across Florida