Sylvia Garcia looks to make history in 29th Congressional District
For the first time in its history, Houston is on the cusp of electing a Latina to Congress.
Early returns in the race for the 29th Congressional District showed Democrat Sylvia Garcia with a commanding lead over Beaumont businessman Tahir Javed that, if it holds, could hand Garcia the Democratic nomination without the need for a runoff.
The heavily Democratic district was designed in 1992 to help elect a Latino to Congress, but has been filled ever since by U.S. Rep. Gene Green, a Democrat who announced he is not seeking re-election.
“We know that representation matters and that taking the... read more
- 00:21 Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen pleads guilty in hush-money scheme
- 23:52 Cohen pleads guilty, implicates Trump in hush-money scheme
- 23:17 The Latest: Cheney wins GOP nomination for US House
- 20:19 Lupe Valdezâs pistol found, Dallas County Sheriffâs Office...
- 19:30 The Latest: Trump opens rally amid 2 associates' legal woes
- 18:56 How the case of former Trump fixer Michael Cohen went down
- 18:11 Silent on Cohen, Trump says Manafort conviction 'a disgrace'
- 17:45 Memes abound following news of guilty verdicts for Paul Manafort,...
- 16:07 Michael Flynn not yet ready to be sentenced, prosecutors say
- 15:32 Gov. Abbottâs call for more Texas teachers making $100k draws...