Tan Parker jumps in race for Texas House Speaker
AUSTIN — With the political drama of this week's primary election behind him, state Rep. Tan Parker made it official he wants to be the next Texas House speaker.
The job entails overseeing a legislative chamber torn between moderate and conservative political values.
Parker, a Republican from North Texas, filed paperwork declaring his candidacy with the Texas Ethics Commission Thursday. Parker currently serves as chairman of the House Republican Caucus, overseeing the diverse body of 95 Republican lawmakers.
Parker is one of several lawmakers interested in taking up the gavel come the 2019... read more
- 02:28 Brewers' broadcaster Bob Uecker survives venomous spider bite,...
- 00:30 Allegations from women in his past shadow Trump
- 00:30 GOP senators criticize Trump for congratulating Putin on win
- 00:30 Tariffs on steel, aluminum set off scramble for exemptions
- 23:27 Hamilton baseball walks off to complete rally over Desert Vista
- 23:18 Detroit Red Wings stop losing skid, top Philadelphia Flyers 5-4 in SO
- 21:35 Brazil to vaccinate entire country against yellow fever
- 20:45 Lupe Valdez touts Dan Patrick in fundraising for Dem gubernatorial...
- 19:57 Hospital cited over woman left in cold in hospital gown
- 19:50 Diamondbacks catcher Alex Avila not sweating spring results