Tax break on apartment complex causes $5.6 million headache for Tempe
Skip in SkipxEmbed
CLOSE This tax incentive is under fire by lawmakers and facing a lawsuit that could threaten its use. Here's a quick primer on the Government Property Lease Excise Tax.
A tax break that cities use to entice development has led to legal woes in Tempe.
Basically, Tempe became the owner of a luxury apartment complexalong Tempe Town Lake this year to give the developer, OliverMcMillan, a break on its property taxes.
The project, previously known as the Lofts at Hayden Ferry, is now called Salt and is slated to open this year, according to the company's website. ... read more
- 18:46 Net neutrality fight offers another contrast in 2018 Senate race
- 18:36 Grand Canyon basketball faces toughest opponent to date in San Diego
- 18:32 ASU rescinds Charlie Rose journalism award
- 17:58 Coyotes Game Day: Battle of backup goaltenders on tap vs. Kings
- 17:45 Moon Valley football players invited to Territorial Cup by ASU...
- 17:13 Game Day: Buzzer-beaters becoming a habit for Devin Booker
- 16:37 ASU's Territorial Cup challenge: Containing Khalil Tate
- 16:05 Arizona firefighter accidentally shot on trip was 'everybody's friend'
- 15:50 Few Arizonans expect GOP tax-cut plan will help them, poll says
- 15:09 Territorial Cup: Things to watch, key players and a prediction