Tax break on apartment complex causes $5.6 million headache for Tempe
Skip in SkipxEmbed
CLOSE This tax incentive is under fire by lawmakers and facing a lawsuit that could threaten its use. Here's a quick primer on the Government Property Lease Excise Tax.
A tax break that cities use to entice development has led to legal woes in Tempe.
Basically, Tempe became the owner of a luxury apartment complexalong Tempe Town Lake this year to give the developer, OliverMcMillan, a break on its property taxes.
The project, previously known as the Lofts at Hayden Ferry, is now called Salt and is slated to open this year, according to the company's website. ... read more
- 20:19 Veteran shot by Mesa PD sought treatment from Phoenix VA, wife says
- 20:14 Diamondbacks clinch playoff spot, home field in NL wild card game
- 19:38 Arizona groups send supplies to Mexico after 3 disastrous earthquakes
- 19:04 Fitzgerald, Witten share same values, talents and at least one more...
- 18:39 Stanford turns to K.J. Costello at QB after Chryst injury, wins big
- 17:25 Parents, alumni protest Great Hearts Academies' transgender policy
- 17:25 Two men killed in plane crash north of Prescott
- 17:25 'It Shouldn't Hurt to be a Child': Prevent Child Abuse Arizona...
- 17:25 More than 40 flights diverted after fire alarm at Sky Harbor...
- 17:19 Diamondbacks clinch playoff spot with NL wild card berth