Tax break on apartment complex causes $5.6 million headache for Tempe
Skip in SkipxEmbed
CLOSE This tax incentive is under fire by lawmakers and facing a lawsuit that could threaten its use. Here's a quick primer on the Government Property Lease Excise Tax.
A tax break that cities use to entice development has led to legal woes in Tempe.
Basically, Tempe became the owner of a luxury apartment complexalong Tempe Town Lake this year to give the developer, OliverMcMillan, a break on its property taxes.
The project, previously known as the Lofts at Hayden Ferry, is now called Salt and is slated to open this year, according to the company's website. ... read more
- 10:18 Trump to bar transgender individuals from armed forces
- 10:04 50 students start down grueling path in Mayo Med School's inaugural...
- 09:45 Arizona Supreme Court lets ruling stand that protects Republic...
- 09:41 Trump to bar transgender individuals from armed forces.
- 08:34 The Latest: Trump blasts Murkowski on health care vote
- 08:23 Britain to ban sale of new diesel, gasoline cars by 2040
- 08:00 Lower global tax rate boosts Ford in second quarter
- 05:05 Trump: Liberation from 'Obamacare nightmare' is close
- 04:30 Parents, former Scouts alarmed by Trump's speech at jamboree
- 04:30 Senate Judiciary Committee withdraws subpoena for Manafort