U-Haul 's Shoen is ASU's executive of the year
Some of Edward "Joe" Shoen's management tenets seem like a recipe for chaos, like allowing employers to work mostly unsupervised or letting customers call him on his cellphone.
Yet the chairman and CEO of Phoenix-based U-Haul International and head of Amerco, U-Haul's parent corporation, has a strong belief that most people will do the right thing and common sense usually will prevail, especially if top executives and managers don't get in the way.
"Basically everyone who works for us works unsupervised," said Shoen, who was honored Wednesday as executive of the year by... read more
- 21:05 DPS: Serial speeder falls into trap set by Arizona troopers
- 21:01 Trades, not picks, could headline Arizona Coyotes' draft
- 20:47 Hosting congressional picnic, Trump calls for unity
- 20:22 Heat wave boosts burns in Phoenix as pavement, cars scald
- 19:42 SBOE members take issue with charter school proposal
- 18:22 FDA approves quicker-to-administer drug for blood cancers
- 17:42 Phoenix boutique offers wedding dresses at fraction of cost
- 17:31 Fascinations tones down sexy products, hopes to lure more customers
- 17:03 Trump's putdown of wind energy whips up a backlash in Iowa
- 16:32 Trump's bright idea: a solar wall at the US-Mexico border