U-Haul 's Shoen is ASU's executive of the year
Some of Edward "Joe" Shoen's management tenets seem like a recipe for chaos, like allowing employers to work mostly unsupervised or letting customers call him on his cellphone.
Yet the chairman and CEO of Phoenix-based U-Haul International and head of Amerco, U-Haul's parent corporation, has a strong belief that most people will do the right thing and common sense usually will prevail, especially if top executives and managers don't get in the way.
"Basically everyone who works for us works unsupervised," said Shoen, who was honored Wednesday as executive of the year by... read more
- 14:02 Arizona high school football rewind: Curtain Calls from Zero Week
- 13:23 Jim Harbaugh, Michigan football's secrecy sparks media's FOIA request
- 13:12 GOP doubts and anxieties about Trump burst into the open
- 11:42 Physicist Hawking criticizes UK health secretary on service
- 11:21 Fiji International Leading Leading Scores
- 11:15 How Marvin Bagley III ended up at Duke a year ahead of schedule
- 11:11 How bicyclist-friendly is your city? Group ranks metro Phoenix efforts
- 10:57 How to watch the Arizona Cardinals game vs. the Chicago Bears
- 10:12 Sun safety during solar eclipse in Arizona: 'Don't look at the sun...
- 10:02 Trump Phoenix rally to highlight feisty feud with senator