U.S. carrier group sails into waters claimed by China
The U.S. Navy has dispatched a small armada to the South China Sea.
The carrier John C. Stennis, two destroyers, two cruisers and the 7th Fleet flagship have sailed into the disputed waters in the last 24 hours, according to military officials. The carrier strike group is the latest show of force in the tense region, with the U.S. asserting that China is militarizing the region to guard its excessive territorial claims.
The Stennis deployed from Washington state on Jan. 15.
The stand-off has been heating up on both sides. After news in February that the Chinese had deployed an advanced... read more
- 15:57 Jared Dudley believes Igor Kokoskov is 'ready' to be Suns' next coach
- 12:01 Irish premier launches bid to overturn abortion restrictions
- 09:35 Trump says he doesn't think personal lawyer will 'flip'
- 02:51 Short-handed Diamondbacks nearly no-hit by Padres
- 02:33 Horizon wins at home on ninth-inning walk-off, 4-3
- 01:03 Giuliani adds toughness, star power to legal team for Trump
- 01:03 Haley's response: 'I don't get confused' draws notice
- 01:03 Steyer's talk of impeaching Trump not appealing to Dems
- 00:46 Dems' lawsuit alleges conspiracy between Trump camp, Russia
- 00:22 Madisen Duryea builds on home run total as Bradshaw Mountain...