Vermont high school rethinks Rebel nickname
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. – Inside the robin-egg blue binders of the 1966 South Burlington High School yearbook is a black-and-white photo of a cheerleader’s megaphone adorned with the Confederate battle flag. The yearbooks from that era contain numerous images of students posing with the flag.
Those yearbook photos settle any debate about the link between the school’s nickname, the Rebels, and the slave states that fought to secede from the Union during the Civil War. Though the school dropped the Confederate colonel as its mascot about 20 years ago, the name has remained.
Since late July, the... read more
- 03:38 Overconfident? Dem optimism surges as midterms approach
- 03:38 Trump picks combat over caution in court fight
- 02:55 Trump promises to rid Justice Dept. of 'lingering stench'
- 02:55 Rosenstein's fate could turn on which account Trump believes
- 02:13 Rosenstein's fate could turn on which account Trump believes
- 22:55 Ted Cruz and Beto OâRourke take plenty of shots in first debate
- 21:50 Trump says he'll rid Justice Dept. of 'lingering stench'
- 19:58 Hilarious memes rip Cruz, O'Rourke during first senate debate
- 18:34 Shame, fear: Survivors explain not reporting sexual assaults
- 16:34 As he considers 2020, Biden airs regrets of Thomas hearings