Vermont high school rethinks Rebel nickname
SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. – Inside the robin-egg blue binders of the 1966 South Burlington High School yearbook is a black-and-white photo of a cheerleader’s megaphone adorned with the Confederate battle flag. The yearbooks from that era contain numerous images of students posing with the flag.
Those yearbook photos settle any debate about the link between the school’s nickname, the Rebels, and the slave states that fought to secede from the Union during the Civil War. Though the school dropped the Confederate colonel as its mascot about 20 years ago, the name has remained.
Since late July, the... read more
- 02:51 Short-handed Diamondbacks nearly no-hit by Padres
- 02:33 Horizon wins at home on ninth-inning walk-off, 4-3
- 01:03 Giuliani adds toughness, star power to legal team for Trump
- 01:03 Haley's response: 'I don't get confused' draws notice
- 01:03 Steyer's talk of impeaching Trump not appealing to Dems
- 00:46 Dems' lawsuit alleges conspiracy between Trump camp, Russia
- 00:22 Madisen Duryea builds on home run total as Bradshaw Mountain...
- 23:17 Arizona Diamondbacks' bullpen getting results without overpowering...
- 22:09 Diamondbacks hold A.J. Pollock, Chris Owings out after outfield...
- 21:38 High holiday: Pot fans join 420 smoke-out in San Francisco