Vietnam sends blogger to prison for critical posts
HANOI, Vietnam A Vietnamese court has sentenced a dissident blogger to 15 months in prison for posting online criticism of the government, the latest case in an intensifying crackdown against dissent in the one-party communist country.
At a two-hour trial at the Hanoi People's Court on Wednesday, Judge Ngo Tu Hoc said Pham Viet Dao was guilty of "abusing democratic freedoms to infringe the interests of the state" by posting dozens of articles that "distorted, vilified and smeared the senior leaders."
Dao apologized for the "erroneous" details in some of his... read more
- 20:21 Cardinals plan to exercise fifth-year option for left tackle D.J....
- 19:54 Texas agriculture commissioner errs in interpreting barbecue bill,...
- 19:23 Arizona Cardinals have urgent need for wide receivers behind Larry...
- 19:10 UT ready to sell 300 acres of Houston land
- 18:19 NFL draft: 2018 quarterback class not measuring up to 1983 comparisons
- 17:54 Pence to name Kellogg as national security adviser
- 17:52 Diamondbacks left-hander Patrick Corbin named National League...
- 17:52 ASU NFL draft preview: The intriguing case of Kalen Ballage
- 17:52 Perry's Chubba Purdy stops at-bat to honor national anthem from...
- 16:56 Phoenix Suns have talked to Jason Kidd, Vinny Del Negro about...