Vietnam sends blogger to prison for critical posts
HANOI, Vietnam A Vietnamese court has sentenced a dissident blogger to 15 months in prison for posting online criticism of the government, the latest case in an intensifying crackdown against dissent in the one-party communist country.
At a two-hour trial at the Hanoi People's Court on Wednesday, Judge Ngo Tu Hoc said Pham Viet Dao was guilty of "abusing democratic freedoms to infringe the interests of the state" by posting dozens of articles that "distorted, vilified and smeared the senior leaders."
Dao apologized for the "erroneous" details in some of his... read more
- 16:25 In Iowa, McAuliffe says he's not ruling out 2020 campaign
- 15:44 Trump to visit North Carolina to survey Florence impact
- 14:21 White House releases new biodefense strategy
- 14:01 The Latest: Trump considering permanent US troops in Poland
- 13:39 Ted Cruz holds 9 point lead on Beto OâRourke, new poll shows
- 12:39 Trump welcomes president of Poland to the White House