What's in a name? Amid violence, Marist sheds 'Shooter' mascot moniker
CLOSE The Marist College athletic department changed the name of its mascot from 'Shooter' to 'Frankie' because of ongoing gun violence in the country and the stigma attached to the term 'shooter.'
If you've been to a basketball or football game at Marist College over the past four decades, you've seen him.
He's the one in the faux fur, wearing over-sized sneakers and a big smile, handing out high-fives to fans and dancing through timeouts.
He's the Red Fox everyone knows, though you may not know his name, anymore.
Amid a growing epidemic of gun violence and mass shootings across... read more
- 10:00 Phoenix police look for motorist who fatally hit pedestrian
- 09:47 The Latest: Trump salutes military progress
- 08:41 Cool Home: Scottsdale interior decorator lets her whimsy run wild
- 08:39 5 iconic Phoenix holiday events
- 08:39 Building a different kind of wall on the border to revive a dying land
- 07:19 Trump presents his report card, passes with flying colors
- 00:26 Auto show zooms into Phoenix with latest tech twists
- 00:12 'The State of Aging': Latinos keep aging relatives out of nursing...
- 23:54 Nashville Predators 3, Montreal Canadiens 2: 3 things we learned
- 22:39 Arizona Lottery game glitch produces duplicated results again