When should I take my RMD for 2016 if I'd like to invest it?
Q: I just figured my required minimum distribution (RMD) for the 2015 tax year which is based on the Dec. 31, 2014, valuation of my IRA. How would one determine when to take the RMD for the 2016 tax season? Would it be wise to take it early in January of 2016 to use in a separate aggressive investment account? I am 73 years old and don't need the money for my daily living expenses. Is there a rule of thumb I should follow? Ken Hester, Phoenix
A: No rule of thumb, but there is a strategy that might work given your appetite for risk and the fact that you don’t mind investing more... read more
- 12:24 Melania Trump to discuss Africa trip Wednesday in New York
- 11:47 US warns Russia over missile defense for Syria
- 11:34 VIDEO: What you need to know from the first Beto-Cruz debate, in 13...
- 11:02 The Latest: AP source says Rosenstein expecting to be fired
- 11:02 Trump no statehood for Puerto Rico with critics in office
- 11:02 Trump says he hasn't decided whether to fire Rosenstein
- 06:46 Eyeing White House, Cory Booker introduces himself to Iowa
- 01:52 Weighing whether to can Rosenstein, Trump tuned in TV hosts
- 01:52 Some farmers worry Trump's bailout checks won't be enough
- 00:54 Trump, at UN, to again confront North Korea's nuclear threat