Why are there so many dead fish in Tempe Town Lake?
CLOSE Arizona has seen it all: record snow and rain, floods and drought, and the searing heat of summer.
Thousands of fish — mostly tilapia, with some shad and striped bass — are belly up in Tempe Town Lake.
Crews have been scooping out the dead fish since about mid-January, and the effort continues, officials said.
Lake-goers are buzzing on social media about what's killing the fish.
One post inaccurately theorized the dead fish were due to chemical contamination from rain runoff or illegal dumping. Others suggested the growth of toxic golden algae could be the cause. The latter is... read more
- 02:49 Phoenix police seek the public's help finding missing 74-year-old...
- 02:08 Trent Hudgens sends Moon Valley past Cactus Shadows to 4A semifinals
- 00:58 Texas Rangers seek to turn talent into title contention
- 00:51 'We're not alone in the universe': Man at Scottsdale UFO conference...
- 23:58 Trump criticizes FBI over handling of shooting suspect tip
- 23:31 'We're not sure if there's a possibility of a better future for...
- 23:08 Shadow Mountain rolls into 4A semifinals with relentless defense
- 22:28 Oakland Athletics, slugger Khris Davis, primed for a step up
- 22:09 Devin Booker sets NBA 3-point contest record with 28 points in win
- 22:07 After massive Mexico earthquake, fatal helicopter crash, Phoenix...