With hundreds of child brides in Arizona, the Legislature looks at restrictions
Every year, about 100 children get marriage licenses in Maricopa County.
The vast majority of them are girls marrying older men, county court records show. Usually, the men are a handful or years older — but sometimes, they’re a decade or more older.
A 41-year-old man received a court's permission to marry a 17-year-old girl in 2014 in one case.
And that’s just the picture in the state’s most urban county.
Nobody knows exactly how many children get marriage licenses in Arizona’s more rural counties — including Mohave County, which includes the polygamous enclave of Colorado City.... read more
- 14:06 Game Day: Arizona Coyotes battle the Minnesota Wild
- 14:06 Game Day: Phoenix Suns face Golden State Warriors minus their stars
- 11:03 Obama to visit Singapore, New Zealand, Australia, Japan
- 03:01 Youth served as 20-year-old Daria Kasatkina outlasts valiant Venus...
- 01:55 ASU baseball opens Pac-12 play with comeback win over Oregon
- 01:11 ASU coach Herm Edwards braves flight with Blue Angels before Friday...
- 00:50 White House chief tells staff their jobs safeâ for now
- 00:42 Trump's possible China tariffs send opponents scrambling
- 00:32 Chaos rules: Left and right, Trump advisers in hot water
- 23:52 Predators clinch playoff spot, increase lead in NHL standings by...