Without debate, Texas Senate passes 'Jenny's Law'
AUSTIN — Reacting to a tragic Houston case that touched off a national scandal, the Texas Senate on Wednesday unanimously approved legislation designed to keep crime victims from being jailed to ensure they testify in court without proper legal protections.
Called "Jenny's Law" in honor of the mentally ill Houston rape victim whose case became a dominant issue in last year's Harris County district attorney's race, Senate Bill 291 was quickly approved without debate and sent to the House for consideration.
House approval is also expected.
"This addresses a critical problem we... read more
- 02:03 Giuliani says White House wants briefing on classified info
- 01:02 Trump stays out of messy House immigration fight
- 00:46 Trump shifts stance on Korea summit from 'off' to 'maybe'
- 00:46 Trump's dizzying shifts on issues from NK, guns, health care
- 21:03 Texas is an abortion desert, with or without Trump's 'gag rule'
- 19:04 Trump steering clear of messy House immigration fight
- 17:55 Trump: Melania 'doing great' after recent kidney treatment
- 17:55 Lupe Valdez makes payments on overdue taxes
- 17:40 Trump-Macron tree faces at least 2 years in quarantine
- 17:20 Trump makes it easier to fire federal workers for misconduct