Without debate, Texas Senate passes 'Jenny's Law'
AUSTIN — Reacting to a tragic Houston case that touched off a national scandal, the Texas Senate on Wednesday unanimously approved legislation designed to keep crime victims from being jailed to ensure they testify in court without proper legal protections.
Called "Jenny's Law" in honor of the mentally ill Houston rape victim whose case became a dominant issue in last year's Harris County district attorney's race, Senate Bill 291 was quickly approved without debate and sent to the House for consideration.
House approval is also expected.
"This addresses a critical problem we... read more
- 18:32 US pulled multiple ways in Syria as Islamic State recedes
- 18:24 Unlicensed Arizona contractor going to prison for remodeling scam
- 18:04 Turner press aide who conducted personal business on city time...
- 18:00 Arizona Cardinals coach Steve Wilks lauded as 'great leader' by...
- 18:00 Scottsdale Christian continues string of Phoenix-area high school...
- 17:43 Homeless Arizona man stored human head in campsite bucket,...
- 17:39 Cave Creek Cactus Shadows soccer team rallies around coach's...
- 17:16 Police confident of murder conviction despite failure to locate...
- 17:12 Libertarian Nicholas Sarwark running for Phoenix mayor
- 16:51 Chilean 'anti-poet' Nicanor Parra dies at 103