Without debate, Texas Senate passes 'Jenny's Law'
AUSTIN — Reacting to a tragic Houston case that touched off a national scandal, the Texas Senate on Wednesday unanimously approved legislation designed to keep crime victims from being jailed to ensure they testify in court without proper legal protections.
Called "Jenny's Law" in honor of the mentally ill Houston rape victim whose case became a dominant issue in last year's Harris County district attorney's race, Senate Bill 291 was quickly approved without debate and sent to the House for consideration.
House approval is also expected.
"This addresses a critical problem we... read more
- 18:51 Glendale police: Man in 2 sexual assaults posed as police officer
- 18:40 Young Republicans: Moore victory 'will not be a win for our party'
- 18:33 Gila County official charged in Minnesota with child abuse shortly...
- 18:12 Scooter Molander steps down as Brophy Prep football coach
- 18:09 Arizona Cardinals release running back Andre Ellington
- 18:03 Republic of Texas map back in official hands, after 173 years
- 17:19 So close: St. Mary's Food Bank just 1,500 turkeys away from...
- 17:18 Arizona high school boys basketball Super 10 rankings: Preseason
- 17:04 Arizona high school girls basketball Super 10 rankings: Preseason
- 16:54 Melania Trump takes custody of White House Christmas tree